6 January 2017
The UN Security Council on approved 23 December a resolution on Israeli settlements in occupied Palestinian territory.
In this Resolution, among other important aspects, the Security Council:
– Condemns all measures aimed at changing the demographic composition, character and status of the Occupied Palestinian Territory since 1967, including East Jerusalem, including, the construction and expansion of settlements, the transfer of Israeli settlers, the confiscation of land, the demolition of houses and the eviction of Palestinian civilians in violation of international humanitarian law and relevant resolutions;
– Reaffirms that Israel’s construction of settlements in occupied Palestinian territory since 1967, including East Jerusalem, has no legal validity and constitutes a flagrant violation of international law and a major obstacle to the achievement of the two-state solution;
– Reiterates its call for Israel to cease immediately and completely all settlement activities in occupied Palestinian territory, including East Jerusalem;
– Stresses that the cessation of all Israeli settlement activities is essential to save the two-state solution and calls for affirmative action to be taken immediately to reverse the negative trends on the ground which are endangering the two-state solution;
– Calls on all States to distinguish, in their relevant relations, between the territory of the State of Israel and the territories occupied since 1967.
The Assembly of the Republic, meeting in plenary on January 6, 2017:
– Welcomes the adoption of UN Security Council Resolution 2334 (2016) condemning the construction and expansion of Israeli settlements on Palestinian territory;
– Condemns the intention expressed by the Israeli Prime Minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, that the State of Israel will not abide by this United Nations Security Council Resolution;
– Reaffirms the position of the Portuguese State in favor of a two-state solution, with the creation of a free and independent State of Palestine within the 1967 borders and with capital in East Jerusalem;
– Reaffirms the need to comply with the relevant United Nations resolutions on ending Israel’s illegal occupation of Palestine and respect for the legitimate rights of the Palestinian people.